Thursday, May 26, 2011

Trailer Time: Page One, The Skin I Live In

*Pedro Almodóvar and Antonio Banderas on the set of The Skin I Live In

Literature, journalism and every other form of the printed word is at a crisis. The immediacy, ease, and convenience of the internet and the digital age proves to be such devastating competition that the the publishing and journalism worlds have been in a constant whirlwind of change to keep up with it. And even The New York Times is no different. Or so the documentary Page One shows....

The documentary spends 1 year behind the scenes of probably the most reputable news source of the last 50 years, and how it is now struggling to stay above the tide. More than just an intriguing peak into the world of journalism, I have a feeling it is more an engaging document of the challenging but inevitable transition from one state of the world into another.




I have a soft spot for Pedro Almodóvar. I absolutely used to dream of being a Chica Almodóvar, or even just to be near him and feel his presence. So obviously, I've been waiting for this one to come out for a long time. Recently screened at the Cannes Film Festival, The Skin I Live In (La piel que habito) is about a sort of mad doctor who in his want for vengeance holds a patient captive to operate on. While fright/horror is not one of Almodóvar's usual genres, his movies tend to be as emotional and plot-crazy as one, so I'm fairly confident in his capability to pull it off.This also marks the Spanish director's reunion with Antonio Banderas who made his name in Almodóvar's early films. Reviews from Cannes have been strong, but not fantastic. Regardless, I can't wait for it to come out in the US.

No comments:

Post a Comment